Do you or a loved one suffer from:
Anxiety, headaches, or chronic pain and inflammation?
If so, you may have heard about CBD gummies as a possible way of treating these symptoms.
And it’s true:
CBD gummies can treat all of these symptoms and many more.
Below I’ll take a closer look at the many benefits of CBD gummies.
The Health Benefits of CBD
Before I look at CBD gummies specifically, it’s important to cover the general health benefits of CBD first.
CBD, as you probably know, is a natural compound found in cannabis and hemp plants.
Unlike THC, the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana, CBD doesn’t produce that euphoric “high” we associate with cannabis.
Recent research has shown that the compounds of cannabis and hemp have real health benefits and therapeutic potential.
Unfortunately, cannabis products that contain THC don’t appeal to everyone due to their psychoactive effects.
CBD products made from hemp (a cannabis variety containing only trace amounts of THC), however, can provide many of the health benefits you’d get from cannabis but without the psychoactive high.
Here’s a quick overview of the health benefits of CBD:
- Anti-inflammatory effects: CBD is really effective at regulating our body’s inflammatory responses. While acute inflammation is a normal response to our body fighting off infection, chronic inflammation damages healthy tissue and can lead to a wide variety of other health problems. Numerous studies have shown that CBD can help reduce chronic inflammation, like that caused by arthritis, IBD, and more. My father actually uses CBD products to relieve the arthritis symptoms in his knee.
- Pain relief: CBD, like many other compounds found in cannabis, is also effective at relieving different kinds of pain. This partially comes from its anti-inflammatory effects, but studies also suggest that cannabinoids can alter the way we process pain signals. Thanks to their analgesic properties, CBD products like gummies, for example, are becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to standard painkillers like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.
- Anxiolytic properties: CBD has been shown to have really positive effects on anxiety and depression. We don’t yet completely understand how CBD does this, but research seems to point at its ability to increase both serotonin and anandamide levels in the brain. Both serotonin (a neurotransmitter) and anandamide (an endocannabinoid) play key roles in mediating our mood and emotions. Some research also shows that CBD can stimulate neurogenesis (brain cell growth) in key parts of the brain related to anxiety and depression.
- Promotes skin health: You might have noticed the boom in hemp/CBD skin products. That’s because CBD and other cannabinoids can activate unique receptors in the skin. In doing so, they can stimulate new cell growth and treat symptoms like inflammation and itching. This makes them attractive treatment options for conditions like eczema, acne, and more. My wife, for example, uses CBD creams, lotions, and other topical products regularly to help keep her skin healthy.
- Promotes homeostasis: This is the main reason I use CBD. Thanks to its wide variety of health benefits, CBD can do much more than treat the symptoms of a specific condition. Instead, CBD can promote homeostasis, a state of balance that keeps the body working properly. Hence, I use CBD as a daily supplement and find it especially effective at helping me recover after workouts.
How Do CBD Gummies Work?
CBD works by stimulating the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Without going into too much detail, the ECS is basically made up of 2 basic receptors; CB1 and CB2.
These receptors are specifically made to receive endocannabinoids that the body produces naturally.
However, these receptors can also react with phytocannabinoids, or plant-derived cannabinoids like THC, which actually binds to CB1 receptors.
CBD, however, doesn’t interact with either cannabinoid receptor.
Instead, it seems to activate other non-cannabinoid receptors and ion channels and affect the uptake of neurotransmitters like anandamide and serotonin.
Some of the receptors CBD activates include:
- 5-HT1A Serotonin Receptors. Activating these receptors helps improve mood, relieve anxiety, relieve depression, and more.
- TRPV1 Vanilloid Receptors. These receptors are shown to be involved in managing pain, inflammation, and regulating body temperature.
- GPR55 Receptors. CBD has been shown to work as an antagonist for these receptors, which are involved in managing blood pressure and bone density.
- PPARs Nuclear Receptors. PPARs are located on the surface of cell nuclei. Activating these receptors has been shown to reduce the growth of human tumors.
By helping reduce the uptake of anandamide, CBD also stimulates the endocannabinoids system, which is involved in mediating all kinds of different bodily processes.
The fact that CBD works on so many different molecular levels is exactly what gives it so many different effects and potential uses.
Note that, for the purpose of this article, I can’t explore CBD and the mechanisms by which it works in much more detail.
The Benefits of CBD Gummies
There are many different ways to take CBD, including oils, topicals, capsules, and more.
I’ve tried many of these options, and they all have something unique to bring to the table.
However, I’m a really big fan of CBD gummies and chews in particular.
CBD gummies are super easy to take, can offer long-lasting relief from pain, inflammation, anxiety, and more.
They also help me recover faster from my workouts and help me get better sleep.
Here’s a closer look at the many benefits of CBD gummies:
1. CBD Gummies are Easy to Dose
Taking CBD gummies is super easy.
Most gummies should come with clear dosing information outlining exactly how much CBD is in a single gummy or serving.
These concentrations may vary from brand to brand, but 25mg is a pretty standard dose.
Working with such small doses is great because it allows you to ease into CBD and let your body get used to it as a supplement.
Once you’ve swallowed a gummy, it’ll need to pass through your digestive system before it starts taking effect.
This can take 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on your metabolism and a variety of other factors.
Sucking on gummies for a few minutes before chewing and swallowing can help their effects kick in a little faster, as the CBD from the gummy is absorbed via the mucous membranes of the mouth.
2. CBD Gummies Can Help Lower Anxiety and Stress
As I mentioned earlier, CBD is great for relieving stress and anxiety.
While both anxiety and stress are normal reactions to the world around us, they can be debilitating conditions when they become chronic.
Luckily, CBD can offer fast and effective relief from both stress and anxiety.
There are 2 main reasons why:
First of all, high doses of CBD have been shown to interact with 5-HT1A serotonin receptors.
These receptors have long been targets for stress, anxiety, and depression treatments.
When activated by agonists like CBD, these serotonin receptors can help improve and stabilize our mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety, depression, and stress.
In fact, many prescription antidepressants and anxiolytics (including buspirone and flesinoxan) work as 5-HT1A agonists.
Secondly, CBD works by suppressing the uptake of certain chemicals in the brain that also have anxiolytic properties.
These chemicals are serotonin and anandamide.
Serotonin is often referred to as the “feel good molecule” thanks to its ability to improve our mood and promote feelings of happiness and euphoria.
Anandamide is sometimes referred to as “the bliss molecule” for similar reasons.
In fact, the effects of anandamide are very similar to those of THC, although they are much milder.
My wife, Sara, works a very intense job that often leaves her feeling anxious and stressed.
Luckily, using a combination of CBD products gummies, Sara has been able to calm her symptoms and deal with the pressure from her work in a healthier, more relaxed way.
3. CBD Gummies Can Help Reduce Headaches
Headaches are extremely common.
But despite their prevalence, headaches can be difficult to diagnose and treat correctly.
That’s because their root cause isn’t always clear.
In fact, the main cause of primary headaches (like migraines, tension headaches, or cluster headaches) still isn’t known.
Luckily, CBD has been shown to be very effective at relieving headaches.
Again, this has to do with its ability to both relieve inflammation and nociceptive pain, both of which can cause headaches.
Plus, the endocannabinoid can also inhibit nociceptive signaling, which could help suppress the pain signals sent to the brain from a headache.
And, unlike the many painkillers we’d normally use to treat a headache (like aspirin, ibuprofen, or paracetamol), CBD has a really safe side effect profile.
My sister actually regularly uses CBD to treat headaches.
She has 2 young kids, and the stress of parenting often leaves her with tense, sharp headaches.
Having seen CBD work for our Dad, my sister turned to CBD as an alternative to regular painkillers.
She is particularly fond of CBD gummies because they offer long-lasting relief and are really easy to dose, especially during the day.
4. CBD Gummies Can Help Fight Inflammation
As I mentioned earlier, CBD is a really powerful anti-inflammatory.
And CBD gummies can be a great way to administer those anti-inflammatory effects internally.
There’s already a solid body of research showing that CBD can help ease the inflammation of conditions like IBD, gastritis, colitis, and more.
Because they are digested in the gut, CBD gummies can be a great way to calm the inflammation caused by these kinds of conditions.
For conditions like arthritis or something similar, however, I would consider trying a CBD oil or topical instead.
That’s because oils give you more flexibility when it comes to dosing, and CBD topicals can treat localized pain and inflammation more quickly and directly without needing to be digested.
5. CBD Gummies Offer Long-Lasting Relief
Another reason I love recommending CBD gummies is that they offer longer-lasting effects than some other CBD products.
This has to do with the way CBD gummies are absorbed.
Unlike CBD oils, for example, gummies take a little longer to break down and enter the system.
Sure, while that means they also take a little longer to take effect, their effects also come on more steadily and tend to last longer.
This is really great for people dealing with chronic conditions that need long-lasting relief from their symptoms.
My sister, for example, finds a single CBD gummy can leave her headache free for an entire day.
6. CBD Gummies Can Help You Sleep Better
You probably know about the importance of sleep.-
Unfortunately, many people suffer from difficulty falling or staying asleep.
Others might get to sleep fine but find that they wake up feeling groggy and fatigued.
Luckily, the endocannabinoid system has been shown to be involved in managing sleep, and supplements like CBD gummies can help you get a solid night’s shut-eye.
As I mentioned earlier, my wife has long suffered from anxiety and stress due to her job.
As a result, she would often toss and turn in bed for hours at night thinking about work.
Today, Sara uses a wide variety of CBD products to deal with her anxiety and she finds CBD gummies especially great for calming her down an hour or so before bed.
As an amateur athlete, I also heavily rely on getting a good night’s sleep in order to recover from my training.
Like Sara, I also find CBD gummies are great for helping me unwind in the evening and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Find the Best CBD Gummies
CBD gummies have a wide variety of benefits.
From helping with pain and inflammation to helping calm anxiety and improve sleep, CBD gummies can make a great addition to your supplement/medicine cabinet.
Plus, because CBD has such a safe side effect profile that, you can also use it as a general supplement like I do.
For more information on CBD gummies, their uses and benefits, check out my blog.